SmartThings Helps Catch a Burglar
Susan bought SmartThings because she wanted to keep an eye on her home when she goes out of town. She never expected that SmartThings would help her catch a burglar in action.
Check out how a SmartThings setup that cost less than $200 helped notify Susan that something was wrong, identify the intruder, and keep the police safe–all from nearly 700 miles away. Read More
Smart Weather Lamp
The weather can always keep you guessing, but thanks to an ingenious creation from a member of the SmartThings Community, it doesn’t have to. Check out how Jim is using SmartThings to visually show what the forecast has in store for him each day at his home’s exact location. Read More
SmartThings & the Missing Cat
A SmartThings customer writes in to talk about how his family’s cat went missing on a cold and wet night. Read More
From Condo Renter to Homeowner: A SmartThings Journey
As Alison and her boyfriend Jeff have increased their living space, they’ve also enhanced their SmartThings setup. While they use SmartThings each day to secure their home and save them money on energy bills, the most memorable time they’ve relied on SmartThings has come on a night when they least expected to need it. Read More
How 2 Busy Parents Are Using SmartThings
Nicole writes in to describe how she and her husband use SmartThings to stay connected to their two children, secure their home from anywhere, keep an eye on their four-legged pets, and control and automate their lights. Read More
New Items in the SmartThings Shop
We’ve got some good news for anyone looking to enhance their smart home: We’ve just updated a few items in the SmartThings Shop (and will soon on Amazon.com) to include several new and updated products and Kits. The new SmartThings devices have an improved industrial look and design, are ZigBee-based, and several come with mounting plates to offer customers more installation options.
Here’s a look at what’s new:
SmartSense Open/Closed sensor
This small and versatile ZigBee device is $45 and can help secure your home, offer you peace of mind, and add convenience to your daily life by letting you know when doors, windows, drawers, or cabinets open and close. It can detect temperature and comes with both adhesive tape as well as a mounting plate and screws for easy installation. This device is different from the SmartSense Multi Sensor in that it does not contain an accelerometer.
- Receive immediate alerts if windows, doors, or drawers open unexpectedly
- Trigger lights to turn on or an alarm to sound if there’s unwanted or unexpected home entry or access to items
- Monitor and secure dangerous, valuable, or off-limit areas inside your home
- Trigger smart lights to automatically turn on when you open the front door, and off when you close it behind you
- Monitor temperature in any room or area of your home in Fahrenheit or Celsius and receive alerts if there is extreme temperature
- Trigger your smart thermostat, or an A/C unit or portable heater, to automatically adjust if temperatures fluctuate
SmartSense Moisture sensor
Our brand-new SmartSense Moisture sensor is $49 and is our first-ever ZigBee-based moisture sensor. In addition to letting you know as soon as water is detected in areas where it doesn’t belong, it can also measure temperature.
- Get an immediate alert on your smartphone as soon as water is detected where it doesn’t belong
- Protect your home and belongings from water damage and flooding
- Trigger a light or siren to immediately alert you if there’s a leak
SmartSense Motion sensor
We’ve updated the SmartSense Motion sensor to include a few new features and lowered its price to $49. This newest version can detect temperature as well as movement, and comes with a mounting plate and screws for those who wish to attach it to a wall. It also includes a CR123 battery which allows for a longer battery life than our previous version–and if you do need to change the battery, you can do so without needing a screwdriver.
- Trigger lights to automatically turn on when you enter a room
- Receive an immediate alert if unexpected motion is detected while you’re away or asleep
- Save energy by automatically turning off lights and electronics in areas that aren’t being used
- Set up a flood light to turn on when your car enters the driveway
- Automatically turn on a night-light when your child gets out of bed
- Know the temperature in any area of your home in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Trigger your smart thermostat, A/C unit, or portable heater to automatically adjust when people come and go
Smart Home Starter Kit
We’re also introducing two new Starter Kits: Smart Home Starter Kit and Smarter Home Starter Kit. The Smart Home Starter Kit is priced at $199 and is the most affordable way to easily see what’s happening at home from wherever you are. The Smart Home Starter Kit allows you to secure your home, protect family and property; stay connected to loved ones by getting notifications when people, pets, and cars come and go; and create a safer, smarter home in the palm of your hand.
This Kit contains a SmartThings Hub, the brand-new SmartSense Open/Closed sensor, a SmartSense Presence sensor, the brand-new SmartSense Motion sensor, and accompanying Ethernet cable, mounting plates, and batteries.
- Secure your home for a fraction of the cost of a traditional home security system
- Stay connected to family members by getting notifications when people, pets, and cars come and go
- Get immediate alerts if doors or windows open unexpectedly
- Secure dangerous, off-limit, or valuable areas of your home
- Easily find where you left your keys in the house
- Be notified if movement is detected at home while you’re away or asleep
Smarter Home Starter Kit
Our Smarter Smart Home Starter Kit contains two additional items–a Smart Power Outlet and a second SmartSense Open/Closed sensor–and is priced at $299. This Kit transforms your smartphone into a remote that allows you to both monitor and control what’s happening at home by powering lights, locks, electronics, and more. This Kit contains a SmartThings Hub, two brand-new SmartSense Open/Closed sensors, a SmartSense Presence sensor, a SmartPower Outlet, the brand-new SmartSense Motion sensor, and accompanying Ethernet cable, mounting plates, and batteries.
You can do everything that you can do with the Smart Home Starter Kit, as well as:
- Control and automate lights, electronics, and small appliances from anywhere using your smartphone
- Save energy by triggering lights and appliances to turn off when you leave
- Be notified if movement is detected at home while you’re away or asleep
- Trigger window A/C or space heaters to turn on when you leave work
- Turn on a light or stereo to turn on in response to motion at night
In addition to the new and updated products listed above, all SmartThings Kits that contained the previous version of the SmartSense Motion sensor will now include the updated version. In addition, Kits containing the SmartSense Multi will now include the SmartSense Open/Closed sensor.
Save on SmartSense Motion Sensors
Providing security, convenience, and energy savings, the SmartSense Motion sensor is a triple-threat and a key part of any smart home. By placing these on shelves or mounting them to walls, SmartSense Motion sensors will let you know when movement is detected in a certain area of your home and can trigger different actions in response to that movement. Read More
The Ultimate SmartThings Bar
You may remember the Bartendro, and the SmartThings Olympic shot-pourer, but as we slip into the weekend, we wanted to share how Bill–a serious Scotch aficionado– has integrated SmartThings and Sonos to trick out his home bar.
Sir, we tip our hats to you… Read More