New Items in the SmartThings Shop
We’ve got some good news for anyone looking to enhance their smart home: We’ve just updated a few items in the SmartThings Shop (and will soon on Amazon.com) to include several new and updated products and Kits. The new SmartThings devices have an improved industrial look and design, are ZigBee-based, and several come with mounting plates to offer customers more installation options.
Here’s a look at what’s new:
SmartSense Open/Closed sensor
This small and versatile ZigBee device is $45 and can help secure your home, offer you peace of mind, and add convenience to your daily life by letting you know when doors, windows, drawers, or cabinets open and close. It can detect temperature and comes with both adhesive tape as well as a mounting plate and screws for easy installation. This device is different from the SmartSense Multi Sensor in that it does not contain an accelerometer.
- Receive immediate alerts if windows, doors, or drawers open unexpectedly
- Trigger lights to turn on or an alarm to sound if there’s unwanted or unexpected home entry or access to items
- Monitor and secure dangerous, valuable, or off-limit areas inside your home
- Trigger smart lights to automatically turn on when you open the front door, and off when you close it behind you
- Monitor temperature in any room or area of your home in Fahrenheit or Celsius and receive alerts if there is extreme temperature
- Trigger your smart thermostat, or an A/C unit or portable heater, to automatically adjust if temperatures fluctuate
SmartSense Moisture sensor
Our brand-new SmartSense Moisture sensor is $49 and is our first-ever ZigBee-based moisture sensor. In addition to letting you know as soon as water is detected in areas where it doesn’t belong, it can also measure temperature.
- Get an immediate alert on your smartphone as soon as water is detected where it doesn’t belong
- Protect your home and belongings from water damage and flooding
- Trigger a light or siren to immediately alert you if there’s a leak
SmartSense Motion sensor
We’ve updated the SmartSense Motion sensor to include a few new features and lowered its price to $49. This newest version can detect temperature as well as movement, and comes with a mounting plate and screws for those who wish to attach it to a wall. It also includes a CR123 battery which allows for a longer battery life than our previous version–and if you do need to change the battery, you can do so without needing a screwdriver.
- Trigger lights to automatically turn on when you enter a room
- Receive an immediate alert if unexpected motion is detected while you’re away or asleep
- Save energy by automatically turning off lights and electronics in areas that aren’t being used
- Set up a flood light to turn on when your car enters the driveway
- Automatically turn on a night-light when your child gets out of bed
- Know the temperature in any area of your home in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Trigger your smart thermostat, A/C unit, or portable heater to automatically adjust when people come and go
Smart Home Starter Kit
We’re also introducing two new Starter Kits: Smart Home Starter Kit and Smarter Home Starter Kit. The Smart Home Starter Kit is priced at $199 and is the most affordable way to easily see what’s happening at home from wherever you are. The Smart Home Starter Kit allows you to secure your home, protect family and property; stay connected to loved ones by getting notifications when people, pets, and cars come and go; and create a safer, smarter home in the palm of your hand.
This Kit contains a SmartThings Hub, the brand-new SmartSense Open/Closed sensor, a SmartSense Presence sensor, the brand-new SmartSense Motion sensor, and accompanying Ethernet cable, mounting plates, and batteries.
- Secure your home for a fraction of the cost of a traditional home security system
- Stay connected to family members by getting notifications when people, pets, and cars come and go
- Get immediate alerts if doors or windows open unexpectedly
- Secure dangerous, off-limit, or valuable areas of your home
- Easily find where you left your keys in the house
- Be notified if movement is detected at home while you’re away or asleep
Smarter Home Starter Kit
Our Smarter Smart Home Starter Kit contains two additional items–a Smart Power Outlet and a second SmartSense Open/Closed sensor–and is priced at $299. This Kit transforms your smartphone into a remote that allows you to both monitor and control what’s happening at home by powering lights, locks, electronics, and more. This Kit contains a SmartThings Hub, two brand-new SmartSense Open/Closed sensors, a SmartSense Presence sensor, a SmartPower Outlet, the brand-new SmartSense Motion sensor, and accompanying Ethernet cable, mounting plates, and batteries.
You can do everything that you can do with the Smart Home Starter Kit, as well as:
- Control and automate lights, electronics, and small appliances from anywhere using your smartphone
- Save energy by triggering lights and appliances to turn off when you leave
- Be notified if movement is detected at home while you’re away or asleep
- Trigger window A/C or space heaters to turn on when you leave work
- Turn on a light or stereo to turn on in response to motion at night
In addition to the new and updated products listed above, all SmartThings Kits that contained the previous version of the SmartSense Motion sensor will now include the updated version. In addition, Kits containing the SmartSense Multi will now include the SmartSense Open/Closed sensor.
Take a look at this new product I created on quirky.com that I’d like to see added to the SmartThings collection.
“Z-Wave wireless weight scale communicates with SmartThings Hub to monitor amount of pet food remaining.”
Realizing that you’re almost out of cat/dog/horse/chicken feed after returning from the store, requiring another long, expensive trip to town or having to work around the issue.
We have cats, dogs, chickens, goats and horses and they each have their own dry food / feed. The dog and cat food is stored in the pantry but checking the other animals requires a trip outside in the cold to the hen house, the goat barn and the horse stables. With my bad knee the extra exercise is no fun. Now there is an easier way.
By allowing the scale to communicate wirelessly, your SmartThings Home Automation Controller can monitor this important function for you and will always know how much solid or liquid product remains in the container, reminding you when low.
User can also monitor product remaining by checking the SmartThings / Wink app from any browser, iOS or Android device. The SmartThings hub can provide notifications such as txt messages or emails to multiple addresses at a user-selectable threshold of remaining product.
Scale gets smarter the more you use it and can eventually predict days of product remaining based on previous usage patterns.
To use, load (4) D-size batteries into bottom of scale or plug into AC power adapter. Place product container (like plastic trash can w/ lid) on scale, press ‘Units’ button to select appropriate volume measure (lbs, kilograms, gallons, liters, etc). Bar graph on app indicates weight graphically. Press ‘Tare’ button on scale or app; scale and bar graph reset to zero weight.
Place bag of product like dry dog food into container, bar graph now displays 100%. Bar graph can be manually adjusted to indicate partial bags. You are done.
Weight sensor / load cell in scale communicates wirelessly with SmartThings hub. Z-wave communication allows other Z-wave devices to act as repeaters to counteract distance and signal issues.
‘Settings’ function on app allows user to also enter weight of empty product container for more precise control.
Is the new SmartSense Motion Sensor any more pet friendly than the previous version? In a house with several cats, the previous version is virtually useless.
You may find this one is easier to mount in a specific location. Cats do have a tendency to get up high and onto things so even the included mounting bracket might be totally effective with certain cats.
The sensitivity is not adjustable on either the new or old sensor, right? That’s a feature I would definitely love to see.
I found that the Aeotec Multisensor detects people but not cats when the sensitivity is set to minimum. I have it ceiling mounted but it is in a room where the cats can’t do much climbing.