Try This: A Fridge That Can Send a Warning
“I put a SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor on my fridge that turns the kitchen lights red if it’s left open for too long.”
It’s happened to everyone. You’re ready to snack on yogurt (or, OK, ice cream) only to find out that the fridge or freezer door didn’t close all the way, and now everything is spoiled. Ick. Luckily, we have a quick and easy solution to make sure it never happens again.
- Use the “Add Device” feature in the SmartThings app to pair a SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor.
- Use the “Add Device” feature in the SmartThings app to pair one or more connected lights from Philips Hue, LIFX, or OSRAM.
- Place the SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor on your fridge door to act as an open/close sensor.
- Use the “Smart Home Monitor-Custom” SmartApp in the Marketplace section of the SmartThings app to configure your connected lights to turn red if the fridge door is left open for too long.
- Note: Don’t have connected lights? No problem! Just configure Smart Home Monitor to send you a push notification if the door is left open for too long instead.
Don’t have a SmartThings setup yet? Start with our Home Monitoring Kit!